Thursday, July 12, 2012

Romney: freeloader playing the game

A Republican friend of mine has this statement in her email signature:


"Apparently, I'm supposed to be more angry about what Mitt Romney does with his money than what barack obama does with mine."


Let me make this clear right up front:  Romney's multiple offshore accounts are legal!  They are absolutely legal, no doubt about it.


So, just why are people like me concerned about all his offshore accounts?  There are two reasons:


1) Romney wants tax cuts for the wealthy.  He says those folks - because of their money - create jobs, thus grow the economy.  He says this all the time when explaining his opposition to increasing taxes on on the wealthy.  Well ... please tell me ... how does his offshore money help grow the economy?   That money isn't HERE so it's not doing a damn thing for the American economy, now is it?  Hmmm ... it appears that other wealthy people can grow the economy, but he's exempt from that.


2) While legal, his offshore accounts set him apart from most other Americans.  I have to account for every dime of my teacher's salary, so why doesn't he?  I have to pay taxes on all my money, so why doesn't he?  I realize that our tax code allows this, but there's something wrong with this picture ... it's inherently unfair.  And it makes him a freeloader - the kind of person he recently denigated at a Republican rally.

Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-S.C.) defends Romney:  “It’s really American to avoid paying taxes, legally." He even explained that it's a "game" we all play.  


I don't see this as a "game" at all!  I see taxes as a way to pay for the services we want and need.  If we want schools, we pay for them.  If we want protection from the military, we pay for it.  If we want garbage collection or libraries or decent roads or safe bridges ... we pay for it!


So, to my friend with the political statement in her email signature:  I'm not angry about Romney's money.  I AM disgusted that he is a freeloader who certainly doesn't need to be.  I AM disgusted that he expects everyone else to grow the economy but he won't.


And I believe that truly speaks to his character ... or lack thereof.


No comments:

Post a Comment